Art Spin Berlin is looking for project submissions from all artistic disciplines (visual arts, installation, new media, sculpture, film & video, performance art, dance, theatre, music etc.) for our upcoming program!
The tour will take place on Friday, July 24th, 2015, with the first performance kicking off at 18:30.
Around 5 successful submissions will be selected for the Toronto inspired curated mass bicycle tour of public artworks, performances, and site-specific installations experienced throughout Berlin neighborhoods.
The goal of Art Spin Berlin is to combine contemporary art in public space with urban cycling in order to discover new perspectives on the city. The intention is to trigger a dialogue on the use of public space, and our streets as cyclists. The community event can be seen as an artwork in itself, and should be understood as a cohesive, communal experience open to everyone!
Last year’s tour took place in Berlin-Lichtenberg and was attended by 350+ cyclists, pedaling a total of 12 km to experience a variety of projects. Animations at the Spree, interactive installations at the former Stasi Ministerium, a musical performance in a local park, an artist talk at the site of Lichtenberg’s newest street art mural, and exhibitions at HB55 Ateliers and Black Market Collective.
This year’s tour will take place in the area of Treptow-Köpenick, with a specific emphasis on the neighborhood Oberschöneweide – see map (pdf). We will give priority to submissions with projects directly connected to this area and also to those submissions dealing with issues of mobility, sustainability, cycling, and the urban environment of Berlin. Site-specific works are highly encouraged, but may need to be altered depending on our tour route.
Keep in mind:
- Submissions for performances and other time-based projects should last no longer than 15 minutes;
- Artists should keep in mind the large number of participants on the tour. Projects that can be easily viewed/experienced by larger groups are more successful, as are interactive projects;
- Art Spin Berlin tour stops take place in unconventional spaces, and will focus on being outside of the gallery environment. We welcome your own location suggestions, however they may not be possible depending on our route;
- Projects that take place as we cycle (in transit) are very welcome!
We are currently searching for funding for our programming. We hope to be able to cover the material/logistical costs of each project, and if funding efforts are very successful, an artist fee could also be possible. Art Spin Berlin is a 100 % non-profit and volunteer run project.
Please submit proposals by email to email@example.com by Tuesday, May 5th, 2015 and include:
- a project description (up to 500 words) including a budget;
- up to 10 images (attached files) of proposed project and/or past work; or,
- for time-based projects, video or sound support material as a link to vimeo or youtube in your project description);
- an up-to-date CV.
Please title your submission “Art Spin Berlin Submission 2015”.