The Horniman Museum and Gardens is looking to commission artists or companies across a range of art forms to create work for a series of large scale events happening in July and August 2016.
These performances will be part of the Horniman summer festival, which will celebrate Brazilian culture with a programme of music, dance, theatre, street arts and more.
These new commissions would be presented at a series of large-scale events over the summer:
- Opening event: Festa Julina on Sunday 3 July
- Summer Late on Thursday 28 July
- Family events: Big Wednesdays on 27 July, 10, 17, 24 and 31 August
- Closing event: Horniman Carnival on Sunday 4 September
All projects must draw inspiration from the Horniman's Brazilian collections, celebrate the dialogue between Brazil and Europe or have a strong connection with Brazilian culture.
We expect applications to be for completely new work or to evidence how the bursaries will significantly develop and advance an existing idea or work in early stages.
Applications may include (amongst others):
- Dance, theatre, street arts, circus or cross-arts performances in the Horniman Gardens
- Site-specific interventions or promenade performances
- Interactive activities across art and craft forms
This is not an exhaustive list and we are open to your suggestions. We will offer three types of bursaries:
- Work for a family audience: commissions of £2,000 each: these are to create free large-scale performances in the Horniman Gardens and presented at at least two of the Horniman family events (on 3, 27 July, 10, 17, 24, 31 August or 4 September).
- Work for an adult audience: commissions of £2,000 each: these are to create large-scale performances or interventions in the Horniman Museum or Gardens and presented at at least two of the following dates: 3, 28 July or 4 September.
- Installation in Gallery Square: a commission of between £500 and £1500: this is to create a large, family-friendly installation, built externally and installed from the ceiling of Gallery Square for the duration of the summer programme. To be installed during the w/c 13 June or w/c 20 June. Please see ‘Commissions for Gallery Square’ document for details.
- Micro-commissions between £300 and £1,000: these are to create smaller interventions or projects presented at at least one event of the summer festival.